(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

06 September, 2006

Illustration Friday: Safe

I can't tell you how much experimentation went into this illo. Every step of the way I was wondering if all the work I put into it was really worth it (do other artists go through this?). I might revert to regular 2D art for a while, as I'm feeling a bit burnt out with sculpting, and trying to figure out photography (over 30 shots to get the right one, whew).

I am pleased with how this finally came out though. Any suggestions? Sure would love bad as well as good critiques!

Oh yeah, does anyone know where I can get some colored LED lights? I'd love to be able to focus some colored lights on my subjects to add some atmosphere. Would LED flashlights work for something like this, or is it too low tech? Or even a regular flashlight with colored filters... I don't know, I'm just brainstorming with my untrained brain.

15 Comments:

Blogger Monkey Feet said...

I love it! I tried doing something like this a while ago, but your experience shows in the illustration. The sculpture and graphics look at home with each other. It's wonderful! I don't know if this will help, but the website www.stopmotionanimation.com has lots of info on lights. You might find something there.

10:54 AM  
Blogger James Elston said...

hey that's awesome!
j.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Anette Heiberg said...

Cool! I really like the character, and so fun that you're experimenting.

Anette
www.wynlen.no

11:31 AM  
Blogger LDahl said...

I think this is awesome, and worth it!!
I think it would be fun to have can-opener-stingers on the bee-butts:)))

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow cool! How did you make it?! (software?) Really nice.

2:35 PM  
Blogger garth bruner said...

Idal, that would have been perfect! LOL

Marion, I sculpted the knight, sword and shield and bees with Super Sculpey, and painted them with acrylics. I added the background with Corel Painter and Adobe Photoshop. I wanted to do the whole thing with Sculpey, but then I would have missed this week's Illustration Friday.

Thanks everyone!

2:44 PM  
Blogger SketchMark said...

I hope you find the desire to make more because it turned out really well. Your character's facial design and the details in the armor and shield are excellent.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

VERy COOL and FUN

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@Garth:Thanks for explaning, really very nice work.

12:56 AM  
Blogger Fossfor said...

this is great and made me laugh out loud! It's my favorite entry for IF this week

10:14 AM  
Blogger Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

This is very fun. And such a great style. Sounds like a big undertaking. Thanks for sharing!

12:33 PM  
Blogger stephanie said...

Your experimental work paid off! Great illo, I love your character & the whole scene- you can tell that there is a story behind it. Great job!

1:49 PM  
Blogger E Colquhoun said...

Hi Garth,

For what it is worth, here are my two cents. (It's Canadian money so it's worth a bit less)

I think that it works quite well. I used to do 3D collage work and I found that the key was getting a good photo/tranny. There was a studio here in Toronto that were magicians and could do some dazzling stuff all in camera. It's all about light.

If you were serious about the style, and it's good, I would find someone who could shoot your stuff and go from there.

2:45 PM  
Blogger rachel stoleru haim said...

wow, i admire you for your patience. this illo is great. i love the knight and the shield. the grass lokks very good.
since you asked for comments, i'll admit that i don't like so much the bees and the grey color in the background. i think the bees' shape should be longer and slimmer.

12:52 AM  
Blogger Ken Chandler said...

Fun stuff Garth. I like how you've been illustrating with clay, though your 2-D work is great too.

1:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home