(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

23 August, 2006

Illustration Friday: Match

Another attempt at sculpting an illustration. I had a tough time coming up with this idea, and it kept developing until I was completely done. It started as just a fat man and his average wife, both with handlebar curls in their hair. Then it developed into this. He's a multi-millionaire with his wife he robbed from the cradle, and with his funds, created a voluptuous woman.

Or, he's the mayor of Stepford.

Turned out to have a better story behind it.

Here's my son's idea, with matching lightning strikes everywhere. I love it when he does these with me.

15 Comments:

Blogger Courtney Pippin-Mathur said...

love it!, great composition too.

6:02 PM  
Blogger rachel stoleru haim said...

this is wonderfull. i love the idea of the matching hair-do, and the characters are great. i would have loved to see it in color.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

love how it evolved! Great story and great sculpture/illo!

8:02 PM  
Blogger Bill Z said...

love it - clay? I have to try that. I haven't done clay in years

8:16 PM  
Blogger Sunday Afternoons said...

Fantastic illustration. Good work.

Cheers.

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice :)

12:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great sculpture! The lightning turned out very well too.

3:05 AM  
Blogger abula said...

cool sculptures.. how long did you take to finish scultpting the pair?.. very nice!..:)

4:53 AM  
Blogger Tracey Hedrick Graham said...

I've been secretly working on sculpting my illustrations as well. The photographing part is tricky! I'll let you know if I aquire any wisdom on the subject :) This one is amazing! I think you should do more of these. I love the CLEAN one as well. I look forward to seeing your next piece! Your son's is one of my all time favorites this week. Tell him I said well done! :)

7:09 AM  
Blogger Christophe said...

wow very nice ! What is it made of ? These illustration-sculptures are great. Makes me want to try it out too !...

11:32 AM  
Blogger garth bruner said...

Thanks everyone!

Christophe, this is Super Sculpey, fantastic stuff!

Rachel, I'm experimenting with color now, wanted to just get it up before Friday, so I gave it the film noir look.

aBula, this probably took me a good 8-10 hours. It just robs me of my free time, and my neck hurts.

Tracey, yeah, lighting is very hard. It's fun to experiment with though, and Photoshop helps to get that contrast out. I'd love to see your secret stuff! You made my son's day.

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great sculpture!! I have to try this out too... Looking forward to see more of your sculptures.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Kactiguy said...

Cool!

6:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great sculpture!!

12:54 PM  
Blogger steve said...

Your work is awesome and THIS--how'd I miss it? I'm very inspired. Thanks!

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home