(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

03 April, 2006

Illustration Friday: Spring

I have a couple of pieces I'd like to share for Illustration Friday's theme this week.

Years ago at bed time, my son would give me 5-10 different topics out of the blue to make up a story about. I would pick just one, and rack my brain for the most creative story I could. A great creative exercise. Unfortunately, it was right before bed, and many of my stories were just boring enough to get him to go to sleep. Fortunately, this one about a raindrop inspired me, and I just had to write it down. For years I sketched up what "Drip" might look like, and was never satisfied... until this weekend. He's so darn simple, but was so hard to get down. He may change again before I finish putting the book together, but this is what he looks like today.

This one was done... holy cow... 6 years ago for a magazine cover. I've posted it before, but it fit well with this theme as well.
HAPPY HAPPY SRING!!

12 Comments:

Blogger Susan Mitchell said...

The reluctant raindrop is a great children's book character - looks like it would be a very sweet, fun story.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Lou said...

Love the facial expressions on the raindrop. Also like the magazine cover. I know I'm starting to see a lot of computer desktops and screensavers changing to spring and summer themes. You were spot on with that illustration.

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Drippy" is cute and I love your computer illustration, very tounge in cheek, well done!

5:20 PM  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

wonderful raindrop character! love your work!

1:14 AM  
Blogger constanthing said...

Drip looks full of action! Simple things are hard to 'get down', I know what you mean ... knew a girl once who got so frustrated drawing an egg that she broke down in tears.

The TV spring is great too. Now that we have virtual aquariums, so why not plants, sure beats plastic blooms too!

2:48 AM  
Blogger Paige Keiser said...

I remember when you posted that cover before, Garth. It's fantastic! The perspective, lighting, and detail - well done!

Awww cute raindrop character, looks like he might jump of the page at me.

sorry if this is a multiple post, I'm having a bit of trouble with the buttons working today.

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I (heart) Drip, Garth! Fun design and his expressions are great.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Dennis West said...

Great work Garth! I too am getting into the habit of illustrating my daughter's story ideas. She's actually quite creative, and with all of the self publishing/print on demand options out there... who knows?

Cheers!
Dennis
http://www.denniswest.com
http://www.groundlings-review.com

11:49 AM  
Blogger Aravis said...

These are both excellent. I especially like the facial expressions on the rain drops! *G*

1:09 AM  
Blogger Catnapping said...

hehehe...love the computer-generated flowers. still chuckling.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Catnapping said...

in fact, that would have been a great cover for a magazine like the newyorker, too.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Willie Baronet said...

Love the reluctant raindrop. Nice blogZ!!

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home